Saturday, December 10, 2011

the one about Game Night

Movie! One word! One syllable! Short! Shorty! Small! Little kid! Sounds like "me"? Sounds like "you"? Sounds like "myself"? Half that? Sounds like "my"? Sounds like "self"? ELF!

One of the best things about being an actor and having actor friends is Game Night on Sunday nights. It's nothing complicated. Mostly you get to meet new people and play epic rounds of charades.

At Game Night a couple weeks ago, a good friend of mine was there. He and I met while we were both hosting at a restaurant near Beverly Hills one summer. This friend, fresh off a movie with Vivica Fox, has been extremely blessed in his acting career. He asked how my acting has been going.

"It's not," I stated dryly. "Why?" he asked, truly not understanding. I replied, "You have a really awesome agent and manager team that gets you auditions all the time. I don't." Then he asked me why I didn't have a good agent. Right, I thought, because I can just go out an get one that easy. This is already a kind of touchy subject (if you read the one about Relentlessness). Slightly annoyed, I asked him how to get a good agent. As if it was the most logical thing ever, he replies, "You go to agent showcases where good agents go."


We talked about the specifics of which showcase to attend the next day. And I plan on observing one next week. So this is a step in a direction that I haven't tried yet.


This friend is invested in my success and also an awesome Christian brother. Thing is, it can also seem to be a very discouraging person to have in your life.


I look at this friend


with virtually the same training as I have,


same age,


the same youthful energetic vibe,


who started in literally the same hosting restaurant job as me,


and I wonder what in the world is going on? I told someone later that ultimately, my problem isn't at all with my friend, but that it's with God. 


"God, why does it seem like you favor one son over the other? Why does your son over here have a career while your son Jonathan has been left 


frustrated and confused


for years?


God, what the hell?"


Turns out that I really needed to hear a sermon called Running on Envy.


Rarely do we hear anything about how dangerous envy is. It is sin crippling to our futures. It exposes a very wrong view of how we see ourselves and our Father.


For most of us, it's not that we aren't happy when others are successful. Our problem surfaces when others are more successful than we are.


Whoa! I'm better than she is. I work harder than he does. What I do is awesome compared to what they do. Why do they get that? What's going on?


See it? The wrong mindset? I did. Envy caused the religious leaders to have Jesus crucified. Christ, more righteous than the innocent Abel, came to take the place of the guilty Cain. I had to repent. I had to ask God to help me replace envy


with a confident contentment in having the approval of God.


"But if we look forward to something we don't yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently." -- Paul, in Romans 8:25


A mere mortal


From the City of Angels


Livin his dream

No comments:

Post a Comment