Wednesday, December 14, 2011

the one about Adventure Now

I have a few recommendations for anyone who finds themselves in one of those days where you're sicky, or where the weather is blustery and you don't feel like reading (and who does?), or where you just want to enjoy a webseries.


First is "Dorm Life" (funny for anyone who went to college or ever had a roommate). Second is "Good Job, Thanks" (outrageously funny for actors and casting directors).


Third is "Adventure Now." Originally a film project for Fuge camps, each season follows a guy named Walt on his increasingly awesome adventures.


I see a quality in the lives of certain people that I desire. My actor friend from game night constantly has a new audition to prepare for, a new rehearsal to attend, a new state to fly to for filming a new movie. Another friend works for Coach Carroll and the Seahawks. Because of the nature of the sports world, every day at work brings him something different from the day before, a different place to travel to, different sights to see. Someone like Kari Jobe always has an exciting writing/recording session to tweet about, an exciting place to lead worship, an exciting new song to release.


Are you seeing the desirable quality here?


My life lacks a sense of adventure that I so desperately want.


I'm not saying I'm not on an adventure. "The kid moves away from the comfort of suburbia to pursue acting in Los Angeles" sounds like an adventure to a T. But when the two years since graduating college can be summed up in "has learned a lot but, if we're being pragmatic, is nowhere closer to an acting career"... then dang. The sense of the adventure isn't there.


I mean, if I were reading any sort of adventure story, I would want the book to start with more excitement than my life adventure story has started with.


I know that part of this problem is my attitude. I choose how to see my life, to an extent. But on the other hand, 


part of this is real.


Perhaps this is a quarter-life crisis--a problem inextricable from youth. I'm looking at my peers and freaking out. I'm looking at my parents' generation, thinking about where they were in their lives at my age, and freaking out more.


The truth is: I have a fear that my life won't be awesome. I know my life is blessed beyond comprehension. But after all the promises about destiny,


after all the prophecies about my life,


after everything I've hoped I would do,


after everything I know about the character of God,


I fear my life won't be as epic as I've dared to dream it will be... because it makes no sense to me why it doesn't yet look even a tiny bit like I think it should.


My dad recently showed me a new perspective. He reminded me that, as I figure out my cause, and if everything seems to be off to a slow start, there's satisfaction to be found in knowing that God is pleased with a son that is willing to be obedient. In some seasons, seeking Him is the only activity He's worried about.


All that's very true and very comforting, but as Stella Adler truthfully noted, "We get nervous when we don't have something to do." Pleased as God may be, it's part of my nature to feel unfulfilled in just being willingBasically, now that I've dealt with my envy for other people's success, I'm left with an unfulfilled desire for a sense of adventure. What am I supposed to do with that?


Several months ago, my church announced that Dec 11 would be "Miracle Offering Sunday," meaning it'll be a day where you give an offering of a size that shows that your faith is expecting something miraculous. A few months ago, I felt God impress on my heart a monetary number that freaked me out. I've always been a tither, but this number for an offering above my tithe was probably 15 or 20 times the largest offering I've ever given. It was about equal to what I pay in rent each month.


So I started saving. In the last few weeks, I really sacrificed a lot of luxuries in order to have that much money ready by the 11th. I was a little short on Sunday, so I went to the ATM and withdrew what I needed to make the goal. I withdrew, almost literally, my last dollar.


Service was amazing, but I was nervous the entire time because I knew that the offering was happening at the end of service.


God, this is my rent money You're asking me to give. Just making sure that's clear.


God, don't you know that I won't be making that much money waiting tables this month?


God, I ain't gonna have no money for Christmas presents this year.


All these thoughts swirled through my mind until I walked to the front and left that money on the altar. I slowly walked back to my seat.


And I cried.


I cried so hard.


I'd never felt like such a scared little kid


desperately clinging to the belief that this is what God wanted me to do.


I prayed, Lord, I'm believing you for a lot of things, but mostly, I want a sense of adventure returned to my life.


I was largely distracted the rest of the day until someone at church, out of nowhere, handed me a check. He said he was blessed by me and knew that a lot of other families were also blessed by my servanthood, so he wanted to bless me back. Later that night, I opened the check and was shocked to find the check was for


double the amount I had given in the offering.


Two times the amount exactly.


I was freaking. A wave of divine assurance washed over me like never before. I hadn't really asked the Lord for money, but he had taken what I had given, doubled it, and given it back


on the very same day.


At the same time, He had reassured me of the adventure I'm on. I believe the sense of my unique adventure is 


on the way.


A mere mortal


From the City of Angels


Livin his dream

1 comment:

  1. Hi jonathan,
    My name is Hayley and I live in New Zealand. I’ve been following your blog and wanted to email you and encourage you in this profession you’ve chosen. I’ve just finished studying acting after 3 years at the NZ Drama School (Toi Whakaari) and am a 21 yr old Christian actor trying to make it in the business just like you. Although the NZ industry is a lot smaller than LA’s It still has similar issues and needs to be claimed as God’s territory.
    It was so crazy to read your latest post because it was as if someone had read my thoughts and put them straight on the page! I also fear that my life won’t be awesome and I’m terrified of living a mediocre life despite knowing how much God had blessed me. Even before reading your post this morning I was thinking last night about the prophesies over my life and thinking ‘Ok God, when is this going to start?’. I can really relate to this and it’s so encouraging to find someone else on the same journey as me. Anyway, would love to hear more about how you are getting on and how you got out on this path. My email is hay.brown@gmail.com if you have time to flick an email. Otherwise I’ll keep on reading your updates. God Bless,
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete