Sunday, November 15, 2009

the one about a Cast

I've noticed a few things.

First, I noticed that life's no fun when there's no off-limits. I look at some people's lives and wonder, "What if (s)he played sports like that? With no rules? No out-of-bounds? Why is life any different?" It isn't. People get hurt. No off-limits = no fun.

Second, I noticed the 150+ students from different Christian campus ministries who gathered at Tommy Trojan last Tuesday for four hours of prayer and worship. It was amazing seeing the hearts of God's children beating in sync with His own, taking a stand for the Prince of Peace and extraordinary spirit living. If you weren't there, you'll have to imagine for yourself the reckless Jesus-loving that was going on. Praise God for what He's doing on the campus of USC! (Cause He certainly isn't choosing to glorify Himself through USC football victories. *Weeps bitterly*)

Third, I've noticed that the 1992 film version of Michael Frayn's play Noises Off is fantastic! If you haven't seen it, I suggest you'll love it, but be forewarned of brief strong language. This film stars Michael Caine (always fantastic), Carol Burnett (wish my generation knew her), John Ritter (wish he was still around), Christopher Reeve (him too), Nicolette Sheridan (way before Housewives), Marilu Henner (new to me), a besotted Denholm Elliott (in his final performance before he died of AIDS), Julie Hagerty (poor thing), and Mark Linn-Baker (from Perfect Strangers).

Now...

When last I posted, I'd decided to audition for Urinetown. Here's the update: I sang 32 bars from "Ladies Choice" from the film version of Hairspray and--contrary to most auditions I've experienced--got to sing my second selection, "Family" from Dreamgirls. Probably thanks to the suspenders I wore...

Got called back.

Danced. It's *great* to be a dancer among non-dancers. Takes so much pressure off.

Sang. Awed by Hollman's Tony-winning harmonies. Whole thing took 4 hours.

Got called back...

for

the

lead.

This hasn't happened in five years--since high school's Guys & Dolls. Not gonna lie, this was big for me. I was nervous about singing that high B in my falsetto. Knew I couldn't belt and sustain the A-flat for 5 measures at the end of "Run Freedom Run." Plus I was called back with three other guys who are--no exaggeration--some of the most talented musical theatre artists in this university.

Last night was the callback. I was there singing for another 4 hours. Sang the best that I possibly could. Couldn't have asked for better. Not pitchy, no voice cracks, good character choices. I was honored to be there with *amazingly* talented people.

Before church (where Danny Gokey sang) this morning, I checked the cast list online. I wasn't cast.

At all.

And you know, I'm ok with it. Rejection is part of the life of an actor. Auditions are the actor's work; getting cast (perhaps paid) is the perk. (Sorry, Dad.) Plus, every time I'm rejected, I'm one rejection closer to being cast. I trust God will have work for me over the next couple months.

Meanwhile, I have two weeks of rehearsals before the Dance Co show goes up...

A mere mortal

From the City of Angels

Livin his dream

No comments:

Post a Comment