Sunday, October 24, 2010

the one about Marc

I know it's the gloomy weather.

Partly, anyway.

But I regularly go through seasons where I feel, mm, not depressed, but sort of disappointed, I suppose.

For a long time, I didn't know how to describe how I felt. Then, several years ago, a friend introduced me to singer Marc Broussard. I connected to his music on several levels. A) He's blue-eyed soul. B) Half his songs are romantic and of much more intimate and mature fare than the Top 40 I've grown to love/hate. C) The other half of his songs expressed exactly how I feel in those "down" times.

As I read up a bit on Marc, a music critic described the feeling exactly:

World-weary.

That's so spot-on for how I feel. And it's weird cuz I'm not cynical. I'm not old. I'm in my young 20's and I'm freakin already world-weary.

...Huh?

I've boiled it down to the reason why--

Recently, I saw my very first midnight tribute showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'd wanted to go for a long time cuz I'm a theatre kid who's never seen it. Plus, Glee is doing a Rocky Horror episode this week... and I didn't wanna be clueless. So we dressed up. And went.

It was *crazy*.

And so much fun. If you've never been, I can hardly describe it as anything else. Well, maybe "insane." But that's the same. There's at least an hour of pre-show ritual, then two hours of movie with time warping, leather, transvestites, Meatloaf, singing, the throwing of water into the audience, the throwing of insults at the screen, the throwing of toilet paper, a young Susan Sarandon (way way before Thelma and Louise), and aliens.

Yes, aliens.

Then I flew to the annual epic Halloween party of my adopted Maryland family.

It, too, was *crazy*.

And so much fun. Catered food, at the very least 50+ cardboard cutouts of iconic film characters, a dj and dance floor, a photographer, costumes everywhere, musical theatre performances, swimming, and a drag performance by a straight man.

And in all of these over-the-top experiences of merriment, silliness and sheer craziness, God gave me the two-part reason for my world-weariness:

The world has so so much to offer. Yet this world has nothing for me.

I've had so much fun bonding with people over common experiences--and I'm not denying the importance of relationships with people--yet outside of eternal significance,

it's all pointless.

It's like, "Ecclesiastes. Dude, hi."

Which is why I *have* to act. I have a mission statement:

1) To develop and rock the talent God has given me, in order
2) To bring an experience of God as he really is to the artists and creators of Hollywood, and
3) To empower like-minded Christian artists do the same.

I pray that my mission facilitates conversations and relationships and experiences of eternal significance. Cuz aside from that, what's life's? Just Marc Broussard's world-weary songs? Y'know?

A mere mortal

From the City of Angels

Livin his dream

2 comments:

  1. praying for you jonathan! may you always rock the world with God's love and your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say, that was a really awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete