Thursday, December 31, 2009

the one about Home

Sorry (to all three of my faithful readers) that I haven't blogged in a while. This blog is, by definition, about my acting life. Alack, I've been with family for Christmas and not in LA. Thus, minimal acting and therefore no blogging. *upper lip curls*

But tonight I thought I'd write about being home. At the church my dad and mom pastor, I did get the opportunity to let my creative juices flow... or at least ooze. I used the church announcements to re-write the words to Beauty and the Beast's song "Be Our Guest." My sister and I then performed and recorded what I called "Announcements: The Musical!" You can see that here. Also, I adapted an SNL sketch from their Christmas episode for a sketch (theatre majors much prefer the word "sketch" to a "skit") applicable to Dad's Sunday message "Prince of Peace."

Anyways, visiting East is always enjoyable, but never satisfying. It's much like a fun vacation--no matter how much you enjoy it, at some point you will want it to be over.

You want to go home.

Mom says, "Home is where your mother is." I get that. But it isn't true. Even if she went with me on the vacation somewhere, I would eventually want to go home. The USC School of Theatre plays on the old axiom, saying, "Home is where your art is." But if acting took me to Japan, would I feel home? Not necessarily. I visit my "home church" in Tampa Bay, and thoroughly enjoy seeing friends. But it's no longer home. Is home where you know people love you? No. Is home the place you feel most comfortable taking a huge poo? Close. No cigar, though.

I told Mom, "Home is where your life is." I was wrong again.

I really think home is actually where Life has you. I mean, home is where Jesus has called you to be. Anywhere else can be pleasant, but never ultimately satisfying.

I know the Master has me in L.A. However, my life is in so much transition right now, I can't definitively say what's next for me. And as 2009 has only 5-plus hours left, I still don't know what kind of spiritual goals I can set for myself. I have career goals: get an agent again, start becoming financially independent. I have personal goals: budget, lift weights. But spiritual goals? Measurable spiritual goals?

All I know is 2 Cor. 5:9 -- "Therefore, whether we are at home [on earth away from Him] or away from home [and with Him], we are constantly ambitious and strive earnestly to be pleasing to Him."

And I'll need His grace to do it. (I know I said I'd write about John Bevere and grace. And I will. Soon. Until then...)

A mere mortal

From the City of Angels

Livin his dream

2 comments:

  1. Now that was good. Inspiring and good. Thanks.
    --Sarls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my theology adjusted here. I do believe like you now. Home is where Life has you...the Way, the Truth and the Life. Your writing style is amazing.

    ReplyDelete